These posts contain affiliate links you can use to purchase books and other items. If you buy books and other items using these links, I will receive a small commission from the sale. This will not cost you extra money.
My Blog Has Been Nominated For Another Award, The Liebster Award!
I am thrilled to pieces that my blog The Blog for Teachers, Readers, & Life! has been nominated for another award called the Liebster Award! My blog has 3 parts: 1) teachers/parents/librarians books & activities for children two-eleven years old, 2) book reviews, and 3) lifestyle- items & services that will hopefully enhance your lives.
Macy who writes a wonderfully entertaining and informative blog called Food Wine Travel More nominated me for the Liebster Award. Thank you so much, Macy!
Macy has been leading an exciting and accomplished life, and this is reflected in her blog. She has travelled all around the world as a flight attendant, and knows how to speak more than six different languages. During this experience, she learned a great deal about people in different societies from different cultures.
I love Macy’s philosophy about her blog! For her wine section she states, “Wine is about stories, land and people’s passion. Well-made wine is more important than the wine labels for me.” She also wanted to include cooking recipes that are quick and easy to make, and finally, she wanted to write about her travel experiences. I would recommend her blog!
What Is Liebster Award?
The Liebster Award 2017 is an award that exists only on the internet, and is given to bloggers by other bloggers. The earliest case of the award goes as far back as 2011. Liebster in German means nicest, dearest, sweetest, kindest. The award was created to discover, connect and support the blogging community especially newer bloggers (200 followers or less).
Liebster Award 2017 How does it work? The Rules:
When you get nominated, you can accept the award and write a post about it, and nominate other new bloggers for it.
1. Thank the person who nominated you, and put a link to their blog on your blog.
2. Display the award on your blog in your post and/or as a widget on your page
3. Provide 10 facts about yourself
4. Write a 150-300 word paragraph on your favorite blog that is NOT your own and explain why. (Provide a link(s))
5. Answer the questions that the person who nominated you asked
6. Nominate 5-11 other bloggers and ask them your own questions! (Don’t forget to tell the other bloggers that they are nominated and when you post it)
7. List rules in your post
To read more about the rules and the award, go to Liebster Award official site, click here.
10 Facts About Me
1. I have been married to my amazing and devoted husband for 11+ years.
2. I was an elementary school teacher for a few years. I taught Kindergarten and Second Grade. I also worked with first and second graders where I taught reading skills.
3. German is my second language.
4. I was also an English as a Second Language instructor for adults at the local college for several years. Because I learned another language, I understood the challenges of learning an entire set of different rules and pronunciations. In addition, I loved learning about different cultures.
5. I earned my Master’s Degree of Science in Reading. This covered Kindergarten – twelfth grade. I learned how to administer and evaluate different reading tests, and teach children reading strategies to overcome their reading obstacles.
6. I taught foundational English, Math, and Study Skills classes at the same college for several more years. This was rewarding because I was able to help students fill in the gaps.
7. I also earned my Master’s in Library Science. (Yes, you need a master’s degree in my state to become a librarian.) I was an academic librarian for many years at the same college. It was so exciting for me to see all the students I worked with graduate and move into their own careers.
8. I also worked very closely with the Early Childhood Department when I was an Academic Librarian. I was an embedded librarian. This means that I would be in the class (online and in person) together with the professor. I would assist the students with their research for various classes, I would present some activities when the classes met on campus, and I would lead and sometimes moderate a few discussion boards.
9. I am now an Executive Assistant. Blogging, on the side, is a great way to exercise my creative brain muscles.
10. I love animals, reading, and nature. I adore both cats and dogs. Currently, my husband and I are “staff” to one (fur baby) cat in our home.
My Favorite Blog
My absolute favorite blog is DIY Mogul by Jassmine. This blog features do it yourself projects & crafts, tips on how to create & manage your blog, and resources for working at home. She also has also written a step-by-step post about how she self-published the book Jordin’s Life Lessons to inspire her daughter to have a zest for reading. In addition, Jassmine has created wonderful self-guided tutorial for beginning bloggers, and she administers “Blogging 101” which is a Facebook group dedicated to “Basic Instruction, Helpful Guidance, & Peer Support”.
As you can see, Jassmine is very dedicated to her family and readers. Her posts are very educational and entertaining! She wrote a wonderful post about family/work balance called “4 Super Important Things You Need to do to Help Balance Family and Work.”
I wish I had read her articles before I had my blog up and running. She gives extremely useful suggestions on her blog and in her “Blogging 101” Facebook group, especially to beginning bloggers like me. This is also a great blog with anyone who likes a creative DIY project!
I would definitely recommend her blog!
Questions from Macy
1. When do you find time to blog?
I also have a full-time job, so I blog at nights, on the weekends, and down time when I am at my job (my boss is fine with this).
2. If travel was something everyone did as a rite of passage growing up where would you recommend they go and why? (one country only)
I would recommend that people would go to Germany. The amazing castles and museums are windows into the past, the former Check Point Charley is a painful and powerful history lesson of what can happen in more modern times, and the beer gardens remind me of Octoberfest.
3. Give a tip for other bloggers or potential blog starters.
A tip for new bloggers would be network with other bloggers. (For example, join and contribute to Facebook blogger groups, but please be aware of the different rules for the different groups.)
4. What is that one post made by you that you like the most, and why?
My favorite post would have to be “10 Incredible Individuals”. This post encompasses the 3 parts of my blog: teaching (teaching activities), reading (children’s books that celebrate individuality), and lifestyle (how everyone has differences and those are our strengths).
5. What was the best memory that you have while travelling?
I treasured seeing my family/loved ones when we went to Germany.
6. How did travelling/ blogging change your life?
Travelling has changed my life because it made me realize there are so many different perspectives and cultures out there that go beyond my small community. This has definitely expanded my horizons, and it made me appreciate all the diversity around the world.
Travelling and learning a different language before becoming an English as a Second Language instructor at a local college helped me value everything my amazing students from around the globe shared with me. We were a community of many different cultures. I can say the same thing about blogging because I am able to connect to people all around the world.
My Liebster Award Nominees are…
• Maureen The Semi-organized Mom http://www.semiorganizedmom.com/ (Organization ideas, Holiday & Cleaning)*
• Chantel Ms. Millennial https://gemsway.wixsite.com/msmillennial (Lifestyle, Motivational, & Personal)*
• Andrea Yellow Door Mom http://www.yellowdoormom.com/ (Parenting & Lifestle)*
• Moving Through Momhood https://movingthroughmomhood.com/ (Parenting, Food & Health, & Fitness) *
• Sarah Coffee Cats Kimichi https://www.coffeecatskimchi.com/ (Travel, Food, Fashion, & Fitness)*
• Journeys to Simple https://www.journeystosimple.com/ (Family, Health, & Lifestyle)*
Questions for My Nominees
1. What inspired you to start blogging?
2. What is your favorite blog post you have written? Why?
3. Give a tip for other bloggers or potential blog starters.
4. What book changed your life? Why?
5. What is your favorite free time activity? Why?
Congratulations to all my nominees! I hope you are as excited as I am! I hope as a blogging community we can continue to support and encourage each other! 🙂